Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year 2017

I sit here reading through Facebook posts and enjoy seeing the fun posts of people celebrating their New Years Eve.  I see people bashing the Buckeyes for their awful showing last night (some make me laugh, some make me mad, some make me cry…) (Win, lose or tie, Buckeye til I die!).  
I saw hope for another Browns win…..sigh…..well there is always next year……

Then I see posts of people bidding good riddance to 2016 for being such an awful year -
2016 was a great year for us.  We (Steve and I) added a grandson, a son-in-law, a daughter-in-law and found out we will be grandparents again in 2017! We took some awesome vacations and had some fun activities throughout the year.  We celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary and I turned fifty!
Fifty didn’t really bother me- it really is just a number.  I think about my dad who died at age 55 and I wonder, if he knew at 50 he would only live 5 more years, would he have done anything differently? I’m lucky to have a partner in Steve who is willing to work on that bucket list with me because, well, life is short….  So he parasailed with me, went whale watching and while he may draw the line at zip-lining over Niagara Falls, he wants to enjoy life with me and that we are doing!  I am very lucky to have such a loving family all around me.  Life isn’t always perfect, but I have had some pretty perfect moments in this year that has been filled with ups, downs, twists and turns! I try to focus on the positive and not dwell on the negative and learn lessons from the bad things thrown in my path. 

I see people upset because so many celebrities have died in 2016 and there did seem to be a lot and I haven’t looked at stats if it’s more this year than any year past, but people die. It’s a part of life. It is sad when someone you have watched entertain you leave this world too soon, but there are also soldiers, police officers, cancer patients, (and other serious illnesses), babies, addicts….etc….all lost lives too soon… Every day heroes that impacted lives in ways we will never know that didn’t get the glitz and glamour of Hollywood but the loss is personal and the grief is real to those families that lost those loved ones.   Sometimes it’s a serious illness that throws that monkey wrench in your life plans, like cancer, or MS or any of a number of illnesses.  You just don’t know what each day will bring (or not bring) and I am doing my very best to be thankful for something, every day.  My mom used to preach about the “Power of Positive Thinking” (Norman Vincent Peale) and it impacted me.  Yes, bad things happen and bad things happen to good people —  You can only control your reaction to those things, let it beat you down, or find a way to lift you up.  Life is short. 

I don’t know what 2017 will bring and I can’t promise to be happy every moment of every day but I can promise to not dwell on the negative and that doesn’t mean I won’t have the occasional pity party for myself….but I will lift myself back up!  I have learned in this life you can’t blame other people for your attitude and you can’t blame circumstances for your reaction.  

It helps to have supportive friends and family, but not everyone has that, so you have to be your own best friend and stop being your own worst enemy! 

I’m lucky to have the life I have and those I have in it, for however long that will be. 

Happy New Year!

1 comment: